I made this strawberry shortcake dessert for boyfriend who loved Key Limes, and was tired of the same-old Key Lime Pie. I do not love Key Lime, but this dessert was a creation in our honor. And wouldn’t you know it, the dessert has endured, and he didn’t. Love makes us sometimes do very inspired things, and occasionally an incredible recipe or work of art is all that’s delicious from a failed relationship.
I continue to love this deliciously sweet strawberry shortcake, with a citrus-twist.
May our taste buds endure all life has to offer.
Disclaimer: Affiliate links are used. If you purchase a product via my link, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love and use. You can read my full disclosures for more information.
Key Lime Strawberry Shortcake
- Heat oven to 400 °F.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add 5 Tbsp. of sugar, and zest of 6-8 limes.
- Stir in milk until it resembles pancake batter. Pour into square pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked completely through.
- Add strawberries to separate mixing bowl. Combine with 2 Tbsp. sugar and the juice from the 6-8 limes zested above.
- Cover and keep in fridge.