I regularly get commissions from people who need modifications to their favorite recipes, so that they can eat them with their new food restrictions or fad diet. Not so long ago, I was asked to modify the soft pretzel recipe from Disney, and I was so happy to do that. Since that was a recipe for another blogger, It’s not on my site (I’ll link to it when she posts it). I decided to throw in this gluten free cheese sauce recipe for her.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a sucker for a crusty soft pretzel, and I absolutely must have a decadent dipping sauce. If you don’t know yet, sauces, rubs, and condiments are kind of my forte, and there are few things that can’t be saved or made better with an amazing sauce. But I digress.
I’m here to tell you that I had to make a last-minute choice between a vinegary mustard dip, and a creamy cheese sauce, and I chose to make the cheese sauce below. Of course it’s a gluten-free cheese sauce, because what’s the point of eating a gluten free pretzel if you’re not also eating gluten free sauce? And no, cheese sauces are not gluten free.
I used the same gluten free flour for this that I used to make the pretzels, and it turned out pretty great. I also added some vinegar based hot pepper sauce, because I wanted it to be a little spicy. I want everything to be a little spicy, though.
If you’re not in the market for a gluten free cheese sauce for your pretzels, you can also use it in broccoli cheese casserole, drizzled over cauliflower or french fries, as a chip dip, and as a soup base. Just add some diced sweet peppers and bacon, and voila! Cheese Soup!
Hey! Tag me in those instagram pix, so I can see what you’re using this for. Instructions in the recipe.
Gluten Free Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup Whole Milk you can use another fat percentage, but it will be runnier. I don't recommend using nut milks.
- 1 cup Grated Cheese I used cheddar.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour You can use corn starch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat
- Stir in flour and combine thoroughly, getting rid of any lumps
- Add milk, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly
- Turn off burner and stir in cheese until it's melted
- Add hot sauce